Saturday, September 30, 2006

I Don't Get the Anti-Chief Crowd

Here's what I don't get about the anti-Chief crowd, i.e., the Charlene Teeters, the Debbie Reeses:

Do they identify with Chief IIliniwek and imagine that THEY are somehow related to him?

Or are they taking the viewpoint of unnamed others who they think might identify with him?

Or are they just imagining that majority white society really believes that stereotypic depictions of American Indians are accurate?

Here's the thing: as a part of that majority white society, I don't take offense to depictions of drunk or evil white people as anyone that I have a connection to. If I see the classic "cowboy" movie on television, I don't think for a minute that people living on the frontier really dressed, talked or acted like that. Nor do I worry that I will be confused with evil, white trash hillbillies running amok on the plains.

My ancestors came from Germany in the 1870's. But I don't get offended when I see or hear things about Krauts or Germans or their particular qualities. I don't get all worked up when I hear about Aryan skinheads, and worry that somehow I will be lumped in with their particular brand of politics.

Similarly, I do not for a minute imagine that the depictions of Indians as "savages" are accurate representations of what those people were actually about.

I do not define myself by my membership in any particular racial or ethnic group, and I don't give a damn if others do. I don't really care if you call me a racist bigot. You are the people with a perceived problem, and apparently not a lot else to worry about.

That's what I don't get about the anti-Chief whiners.

No comments: